If Evolution is what really happened in the past, then every life-form from bacteria to dinosaurs is related. Evolution is the idea that life-forms transformed very slowly by tiny changes over long periods of time.
So that means we should see long chains of creatures slowly changing from one form into another. We should see hundreds of thousands of “in-between” forms in the fossils. These “in-between” forms are called “transitional” forms by scientists.
This process of change is supposed to be very slow. This is because the growth plan of a life-form is found in its DNA code. The information in a DNA code of a life-form usually stays the same. This is why cows give birth to cows. The DNA code for a cow tells the baby to grow into a cow and not a sheep.
Thank God for DNA, otherwise we might have...
Now – every once in a while the DNA code gets messed up a little bit. Scientists call this sort of mistake a “mutation”. Mutations usually cause serious health problems or death about 99% of the time.
In fact, the truth is scientists have yet to see a mutation that is actually good.
And NO ONE has ever seen a DNA code mutation create a completely different life-form. In other words, no one has ever seen a lizard give birth to a bird. It just doesn’t happen in the real world.
Still – Evolutionists think that some mutation, somewhere, created new, positive information in a DNA code. They MUST believe this!
Why? Because this is the only way life-forms could evolve into completely different life-forms.
So - this new information from a mutation supposedly created a positive benefit in the new life-form. Many of these “good mutations” (which no one has ever seen), over many millions of years, supposedly caused life-forms to change into completely different life-forms.
But remember – no one has ever seen this sort of thing in the real world. No one has ever seen positive, purposeful new information get put into a DNA code by a mutation.
But Evolutionists still think this is what happened in the past.
Obviously, all of this slow and gradual change should have taken many millions of years. Hundreds of millions of life-forms would have lived and died between one type of animal or plant and the next.
So - if Evolution is true, scientists should be able to see millions of life-forms that are in-between one life-form kind and another. (1)
In Between Life forms, kind of like Quantum Leap!
But after more than a hundred years of study, scientists have only found a small handful of fossil creatures that MIGHT be transitional fossils.
Wait a minute…we should see MILLIONS of obvious transitional fossils. But scientists have just a few to talk about!
Just a few? What’s up with that?
And NOT ONE of these handful of life-forms is convincing. In fact, the truth is, there are no CLEAR examples of transitional forms at all. (2)
Not even one!
Now…some of these possible transitional fossils are probably just different species. A few of them have even turned out to be fakes.
You can read about them on this site. You will see why all of these “transitional forms” are not really transitional forms at all.
For example, click here to read about whales and wolves!
It is true that there is great variety within living creatures. This variety comes from the mixing of the DNA codes of the parents. If one parent is tall and the other is short, the offspring may get one code for tall and one for short. Mixing and matching like this creates variety.
Variety is also sometimes called “adaptation”. This variety in life-forms allows them to survive as the world changes.
Nicholas Cage for example, is of the "Actor" variety of the Human Kind.
But remember, mixing and matching of traits in DNA codes is not NEW information in the code. The basic information in the code stays the same. This is why you can have tall humans and short humans. But you don’t see humans born with wings. Having wings would be completely new information in the DNA code.
So – the big questions are: does variety show that life-forms are changing from one kind into another? Or does variety have a limit?
There are only two ways to find out!
On the other hand, if Evolution is not true, the fossil record should show that life-forms in the past had limits to their variety also.
This means a REAL transitional form would not be a “variety”. Instead, these life-forms should show a major structure that is clearly changing.
In other words – if rodents became bats we should see some strange rodent with super long fingers. Why? Because bats have fingers longer than their bodies that they use as wings.
The truth is the only possible transitional fossils Evolutionists bring up are not convincing – even to other Evolutionists. There are some interesting mosaic creatures like the platypus and the walrus in the world. But the platypus and the walrus are complete within their own kind. They are not transitional forms. If Creation is what really happened in the past, this is what we would expect to find in the fossil record. (3)
"That's a uh...hurm....transitional form! Yeah, that's what that is!"
Some scientists still try to argue that the fossil record is too poor to really show us any transitions. But that’s just not true. There are literally BILLIONS of fossils. We’ve discovered about 250,000 or more species in the fossils too. (4)
That means we should see at least some transitional fossils. (5)
The truth is that the fossil record is very rich in examples of animals and plants. (6) But all of the major kinds of life-forms are found complete within their kind.
Now…we should expect some gaps in the record since fossilization is supposed to be a random process but these gaps should be at random. Instead, we find a consistent pattern of huge gaps between every major life form.
It appears, at least from the fossil record, that the major life-form kinds have a great variety within themselves but have never changed into completely different life-forms over time. (7)
TRANSITIONAL fossils can make the case, they put evolution BETWEEN a ROCK and a HARD PLACE.
TRANSITIONAL forms, also called in-BETWEEN forms, are the creatures that should exist step-by-step between one kind and another kind. In-between fossils are not found in the ROCKS and this puts Evolution in a HARD PLACE.
My name is Patrick Marks, and I am the author of understanding-creationism.com and the book "Someone's Making A Monkey Out Of You."
I live in Surprise, Arizona, along with my wife and 5 kids. My oldest two sons currently serve in the United States Navy.
I am the Pastor of FourteenSix Christian Church. In my off time I write everything from non-fiction books to screenplays, play guitar, and dabble in drawing and painting.
(1) Gish, Duane T. Creation Scientists Answer Their Critics. Institute for Creation Research, 1993. P. 112. Print. “If, as evolutionists believe, several millions of species have gradually evolved during hundreds of millions of years, a vast number of intermediate stages would have arisen, and the number of intermediate or transitional forms that would have lived and died during that enormous stretch of time would have been many billions times billions, and most likely, times billions again.”
(2) Ibid. p. 115. “Many billions times billions of the intermediates would have lived and died during the vast stretch of time required for the evolution of such a diversity of complex organisms. The world’s museums should be bursting at the seams with enormous collections of the fossils of transitional forms. As a matter of fact, not a single such fossil has ever been found!”
(3) Ibid. p 208. “The gaps in the fossil record between the major kinds are systematic and usually large. The transitional forms, especially those that must be visualized as leading up to highly specialized mammals, such as bats, are not found in the fossil record."
(4) Ibid. p. 111 “There are many billions times billions of invertebrate fossils, many billions of fossil fish, untold millions of fossil amphibians, reptiles, and mammals locked in fossil-bearing strata…In the natural history museums of the world are to be found more than 250,000 different fossil species, represented by tens of millions of catalogued fossils.”
(5) Morris, Henry M. ,Morris, John. The Modern Creation Trilogy, Vol 2. Master Books, Green Forest, AR. 1996. P. 51. Print. “…the evidence for that development ought to be found in the fossil record of the past if it is found anywhere. There must have been many preliminary forms, and there must have been many transitional forms, and there should be at least a statistical sampling of these preserved in the fossils.”
(6) Neville, George T. “Fossils in Evolutionary Perspective,” Science Progress, vol. 48 (January 1960). Professor of Geology at University of Glasgow. P. 1. Print. “There is no need to apologize any longer for the poverty of the fossil record. In some ways it has become almost unmanageably rich, and discovery is outpacing integration.” P. 3 “The fossil record nevertheless continues to be composed mainly of gaps.”
(7) Morris, Henry M., Morris, John. The Modern Creation Trilogy, Vol 2. Green Forest, AR: Master Books, 1996: p. 51. Print. “Though some gaps certainly are to be expected, because of the accidental nature both of fossilization and of fossil discoveries, such gaps should at least be randomly distributed between the present kinds of animals and the transitional forms…if the fossil gaps were not regular and systematic but only statistical – all of this would be hailed as striking, indisputable proof of Evolution….Since, however, this type of evidences is altogether lacking in the fossil record, auxiliary conditions have to be imposed on the Evolutionist predictions.”